Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Moonrise Kingdom: An Afternoon at the Movies

I went to see the new Wes Anderson film Moonrise Kingdom at the Nickelodeon in Columbia, SC. If you have never been to the Nick then now is the time! They will be showing Moonrise Kingdom until the July 26th so go now. On a side note they also showed a trailer for Safety Not Guaranteed and it looked good too, it starts playing in August.

The Nickelodeon is a non-profit theater playing many independent films that usually aren't played in larger theaters. The small theater seats 75, and concessions are dirt cheap compared to the big chain theaters. Better yet they serve wine and beer! The $2.50 bag of popcorn was so good my mom and I finished it before the movie even started! My mom and I ordered a double glass of wine, 2 medium bags of popcorn, a large drink, and two movie tickets for under $30. This theater really is a great deal and offers a cozy movie watching experience.

As for the movie, it was a quirky fantasy just like all the Wes Anderson films I love. The audience really reacted to a dozen different funnies thrown into the story. The main characters Suzy and Sam run away together and the town joins together to find them. The combination of imagery, music, acting, and storyline ties together so well into an amazing movie I want to watch over and over.

1 comment: